Christmas is upon us and as a small, family business, we thought it was important to tell you why it’s great to shop small this festive season.
- You’re buying from a real person!
Now, thats not to say that bigger businesses aren’t ran by a ‘real person’ too, but when you shop small and independent you’re buying from people who truly care. In our case, a family. A family who have poured their entire heart and soul into every aspect of their business, meaning that when you shop with us, you’re not just a statistic or number, you’re our regular customer, our friend, the people who’ve supported us for over six years and have become part of our GBC family.
2. Quality not quantity.
As all of our products are hand made in our GBC kitchen, we can ensure the quality and care that goes into them unlike something that is mass produced on a factory line. Could you buy a cheaper cake or treat from a supermarket? Sure! Will it taste the same? Will it be made with the highest quality ingredients? Will it be crafted with thought, love and care? The truth is, probably not. Every single order is so important to us, regardless of what and how much you’ve ordered, it’s quality over quantity every time!
3. Customer Service
As a fairly small team, our service is real and has heart. We’re not trained to give a series of pre-programmed responses nor do we have targets to hit or commission to make. At GBC we always go above and beyond to deliver great service and would ensure we went the extra mile to make our customers happy. Every single purchase matters to us and our reputation so your happiness is always our upmost priority!
4. Supporting Female Entrepreneurs
Our business was founded by myself, Leoni, and my amazing Mam (or Mum to those non Geordie folk!) built this company from the ground up, starting with a wild dream and sheer determination. We were luckily successful enough to eventually bring along Mr GBC, my husband Stephen as well as Papa GBC, my Dad but first and foremost this business was built by females.
Being a female entrepreneur has allowed me to work around my commitments to my son which is totally priceless. However…
“Only 1 in 3 UK entrepreneurs is female: a gender gap equivalent to 1.1 million missing businesse and up to £250 billion of new value could be added to the UK economy if women started and scaled new businesses at the same rate as UK men”— ROSE REVIEW OF FEMALE ENTREPRENEURSHIP, HM TREASURY 2019
By supporting female led businesses you’re closing the gender gap and helping our economy grow! How amazing is that!
5. That feel good feeling…
When you shop small, you are supporting someone’s livelihood and dreams. You’re not just buying a ‘thing’, you’re buying a piece of ‘heart’, hard work and the determination its taken to get them to this point. When I shop small or independent, I feel amazing knowing that my money is going to support someone’s dream, or even just helping to pay for their child’s dance lessons! Every penny makes that difference to a small business and their team.
6. Support the economy!
Did you know that in the UK in 2018, 60% of all private sector employment was provided by small businesses? Small business such as ours can encourage innovation and healthy competition which in turn is great for the economy. As a small business, we also put money back into the national and local economy in the form of taxes, which can’t necessarily be said for some larger ‘tax-dodging’ conglomerates…not to name names!
“Research on spending by local authorities shows that for every £1 spent with a small or medium-sized business, 63p stayed in the local economy, compared to 40p with a larger business”– The Guardian
So, how can you help?
- Choose a local shop over a larger chain. You’ll usually get better service (and a better product!) Think coffee shops, bakeries, green grocers and wine shops to name but a few.
- Happy with your product or service? Leave a review! There are so, so many times that people will only use reviews to complain instead of spreading some positive feedback. Think about it, when was the last time you left a comment or great review after you’ve enjoyed a small or local business? These businesses rely so much more on feedback and reviews than larger businesses so spread the positivity!
- Next time you’re considering a purchase, take a moment to think about whether you could shop independent, chances are, you could!
- You don’t even need to spend money! Support small businesses run by your friends and family – share on Instagram, shout about it on Facebook, tell your friends in real life – spread the word!
So from our family to your’s, thank you so, so much for supporting this small business!
love, Leoni xoxo